NB – Clicking the links on this page takes you to our Wiki site where all these resources are stored. Use the browser “Back” button to get back to the main Yateley Society website.
To be kept up to date with Local History news and events follow our Local History Group Leader on Twitter:
- In Date Order: For those of you who would like to read your history in a more conventional way, in date-order starting in prehistory and ending up at the present day, click on Time Line. You will find a Time Line link at the end of each article: click on it to find the next article. (NB This does not provide access all the information on the website).
- The Original Exhibitions & Talks: Material from other Society exhibitions, lectures and talks is being added to the website and accessible as Local History Exhibitions
- History Of Yateley’s Buildings: Material is now being assembled from the Society’s files to record the history of Yateley’s Listed Buildings and other historic buildings and sites which may be listable following the passage of new legislation through Parliament. Much of this material was originally assembled for Planning Inquiries.
- A Dictionary Of Yateley Biography: For several years members have been working on the biographies of Yateley’s residents. Some Yateley people already have their biographies recorded in the new Oxford on-line Dictionary of National Biography. Others have come to us from family historians. We are starting to write more biographies from the lowliest to the most exalted.
- Yateley Institutions All communities create institutions such as churches, schools and hospitals, which leave their mark in the landscape, as well as clubs and societies, which often do not
- Original Documents & Records: The origin of this website is material written for exhibitions, but this was sourced from primary documents. We have started to add scans and transcripts of original documents and records to this website.
- An Overview History of Yateley by Dr R H Johnston This paper gives a short history of Yateley from the standpoint of its historical geography.
- Transcriptions of the 1841-1891 Yateley & Darby Green Census Records. (630kb ZIPPED. Lotus 123 WK1 format spreadsheet file) (Undertaken by someone with knowledge of local names. This material is COPYRIGHT and may not be used for commercial purposes or republished without written permission)
- The Haven, Yateley: Baptist Union Mother and Baby home. (This material is COPYRIGHT and may not be used for non-personal purposes or republished without written permission) We have additional material that is accessible only by people personally connected to The Haven mother and baby home – Contact Us.
- Phillimore’s Marriages for Hampshire Vol 1-15 (ZIP 1318kb, of TSV files, includes small MSDOS program for easy reading, sorting and analysing this tabulated data) Most of the 1900 work detailing the marriage records of Hampshire, including Yateley. This archive is a reworked version of the version by Reg Moore in New Zealand. This version is easier to use for large scale searches. Readme text file with more details